September 17, 2018
Due to the high winds forecasted for this week, DFO has decided that the halibut reallocation fishery will be delayed until next week. The fishery will take place either the 25th, 26th, 27th or the 26th, 27th, 28th of next week and another notice from DFO will be sent out as soon as possible to confirm that. A draw is being conducted today at the PEIFA Office along with the assistance of MRSB Accounting. All fishers registered in the main fishery will be automatically entered into the draw. In past years, a second registration was held but typically most fishers registered for this and with that information it was decided that a general draw of all registrered in the main fishery was sufficient. DFO will be reviewing the draw list and only those who meet the eligibility (if they had a hail out and hail in during the original fishery) will be considered for participation in the reallocation. The number of eligible commercial fishers allowed to fish the reallocation is based on remaining quota minus the eligible commercial communal alotments. DFO will advise on final numbers shortly. The PEIFA will be contacting eligible commercial fishers who’ve been chosen in the draw once DFO issues the approved list.
If you have any questions on the reallocation, please contact Ben Moore, DFO Resource Management at 902-370-7094.