January 19, 2021
2021 PEIFA LOBSTER FISHING AREA 24 QUESTIONNAIRE
THESE ARE THE RESULTS OF THE QUESTIONNAIRE AND ALL MANAGEMENT MEASURES PUT FORWARD WILL BE SUBJECT TO DFO APPROVAL.
· Ballots counted on January 19th, 2021 by 9 scrutineers at the Farm Centre, Charlottetown.
· 398 returned questionnaires out of a total of 601 LFA 24 commercial lobster license holders. This equates to an 66.2% return rate. Of the 398 returns, there was 2 spoiled questionnaires.
1. THE CURRENT MINIMUM CARAPACE SIZE IS 74MM, WHAT IS THE TARGET MINIMUM SIZE PREFERRED AT THE END THIS PLAN?
o 197 for 75mm (49.8%)
o 185 for Greater than 75mm (46.7%)
o 14 Spoiled ballots (3.5%)
2. IF THE MAJORITY (50% PLUS ONE) VOTE IN FAVOR OF AN INCREASE GREATER THAN 75MM, WHICH TARGET SIZE WOULD YOU PREFER TO REACH IN THIS PLAN?
o 203 for 76mm (51.3%)
o 162 for 77mm (40.9%)
o 31 Spoiled Ballots (7.8%)
3. WHAT TIMEFRAME WOULD YOU PREFER TO REACH THE TARGET MINIMUM SIZE?
o 130 for OPTION A (32.8%): Increase of 1mm each year until target minimum size is reached
o 249 OPTION B (62.9%): Increase by 1mm every second year until target minimum size is reached
o 17 Spoiled Ballots (4.3%)
4. IN WHICH FISHING SEASON SHOULD WE BEGIN THE INCREASE?
o 171 for 2021 Fishing season (43.2%)
o 213 for 2022 Fishing season (53.8%)
o 12 Spoiled Ballots (3%)
Based on the results, LFA 24 Advisory Committee will be requesting a 1mm minimum carapace size increase (from 74mm to 75mm) to be implemented for the 2022 fishing season
The PEIFA LFA 24 Lobster Advisory Committee would like to thank all those who submitted their feedback and appreciate their input in this process.