November 20, 2020
Notice to PEI LFA 25 Fish Harvesters – 2020 PEI Modified Grapnel Trialling Project
CAPTAINS/VESSELS FOR HIRE
The PEIFA is seeking 1 or 2 participants for a modified grapnel trial:
Seeking Captains/Vessels for hire to operate heavy grapnel equipment for the purpose of locating lost fishing gear at the LFA 25/26A lobster line. Goal of the project is to trial modified grapnel equipment for the purpose of retrieving lost, abandoned and discarded fishing gear in PEI coastal environments. A draw of qualified applicants will be made if more Captains apply than required for the project.
The following are a list of details/qualifications for the participants in the grapnel project.
· Fisher must be reliable
· Fisher must be experienced in towing gear
· Fisher must be available to trial equipment during 4 best weather days between November 30th to December 14th, 2020 and possibly later
· Vessel must have a boom for lifting the grapnel
· Vessel needs to meet all standard Transport Canada requirements
· The Captain agrees that he shall maintain third party liability insurance on his vessel (in the amount of $1,000,000.00 per occurrence on his vessel)
· The vessel is attached to the scientific license and must remain for the duration of the trial
· The Captain will be required to sign a contract with the PEIFA
· Captains will need to provide at least 2 crew members
· Rate of pay is $139/hour for Captains
· Captain must work closely with project staff to provide feedback and troubleshooting throughout the trial
· A T4A will be issued to the Captain upon completion of the project (SIN number required)
· Equipment includes an 8’X4’ grapnel on wheels with 5 larger hooks and 3 chains attached at the extremity of the 3 central hooks. Photos can be provided upon request
More information on participant qualifications can be found at www.peifa.org or by contacting Jennifer Dewland at the PEIFA Office at 902-566-4060 Ext: #6.
The deadline for inquires is November 25th, 2020 at 4:30PM.