November 20, 2020
Notice to PEI LFA 25 Fish Harvesters – 2020 PEI Modified Grapnel Trialling Project
CAPTAINS/VESSELS FOR HIRE
The PEIFA is seeking up to 2 participants for this new project:
Seeking Captains/Vessels for hire to operate grapnel equipment for the purpose of locating lost fishing gear at the LFA 25/26A lobster line.
More information on participant qualifications can be found at www.peifa.org or by contacting Jennifer Dewland at 902-566-4050 Ext: #6.
The following are a list of details/qualifications for the participants in the grapnel project (details are listed on the PEIFA website)
· Goal of the project is to trial modified grapnel equipment for the purpose of retrieving lost, abandoned and discarded fishing gear in PEI coastal environments
· Fisher must be reliable, experienced in towing gear
· Fisher must be available to trial equipment for the 4 best weather days between November 30th - December 14th, 2020 and possibly later
· Vessel must have a boom for lifting the grapnel
· Vessel needs to meet all standard Transport Canada requirements
· The Captain requires third party liability insurance on his vessel (in the amount of $1,000,000.00 per occurrence on his vessel)
· The vessel is attached to the license and must remain the same for the duration of the project
· The Captain will be required to sign a contract with the PEIFA (agreeing to the protocol, rate of pay and insurance
· Captains will need to provide a crew of at least 2 crew members
· Captain must be willing to work closely with project staff including providing valuable feedback and troubleshooting throughout the project
· A draw of qualified applicants will be made if more than 2 persons apply
· Equipment includes an 8’X4’ grapnel on wheels with 5 larger hooks and 3 chains attached at the extremity of the 3 central hooks. Photos can be provided upon request.