September 20, 2020
Notice to PEI Herring Fish Harvesters - HFA 16G
CAPTAIN/VESSEL FOR HIRE ASAP
VARIABLE MESH NET HERRING TESTNET PROJECT
More information on participant qualifications can be found at www.peifa.org or by contacting Laura @ the PEIFA Office 902-393-2281
The following are a list of details/qualifications for the new participant in the Herring project:
1) Captain/vessel for hire – Sample herring using a variable mesh panel testnet in
· Captain must be reliable, experienced and actively participating in the 2020 herring fishery in HFA 16G in Fishermen’s Bank.
· Captain will be expected to fish a variable mesh test net (provided to them by DFO) up to 5 times throughout the season and no more than once a week unless instructed otherwise. The net contains 5 different panels with a different mesh size for each panel. Fisher must also separate the catch from these 5 panels into different fish pans onboard their boat and clearly indicate which mesh size corresponds to each fish pan.
· Fisher must communicate with a hired technician, who will meet the Captain on shore for further data collection of the fish.
· Captain must fill out a logbook when he fishes the experimental net with details of the catch by mesh size.
· Captain will be issued a section 52 permit to accompany the net and project.
· Payment is $600.00 per testnet sample with a further top up from the HFA 16G Overage funds.
· A T4A will be issued to the Captain upon completion of the samples.