October 7, 2020
2020 PEIFA LOBSTER FISHING AREA 26A QUESTIONNAIRE
· This questionnaire was sent out in February 2020 with a return date deadline in mid-March. Due to Covid-19 pandemic restrictions, the counting/scrutinizing of the results were postponed.
· This second questionnaire follows the results of the November 2019 PEIFA LFA 26A questionnaire which clarified that the majority of lobster license holders favored future increases in minimum carapace size. The Advisory Committee then proceeded with this questionnaire to seek input from all fishers on the level of minimum carapace size increase and the timeframe of implementation.
· Questionnaires were reviewed on September 14th, 2020 by 6 scrutineers at the Farm Centre, Charlottetown.
· 185 returned questionnaires out of a total of 356 LFA 26A commercial lobster license holders. This equates to an 52% return rate.
The following were the results:
1. The minimum carapace size for the spring of 2020 in LFA 26A is 74mm and concludes the 3-year management plan for LFA 26A. What is the target minimum size preferred to end the next management plan? Note that escape panel height increases with minimum carapace size greater than 76mm.
· 97 ballots for 76mm (52.4%)
· 80 ballots for 77 mm (43.2%)
· 8 ballots spoiled (4.3%)
2. BEGINNING IN 2021, WHAT TIMEFRAME OF INCREASE TO MINIMUM CARAPACE SIZE WOULD YOU PREFER:
· 73 ballots in favor of OPTION A (39.5%): Increase of 1mm each year until target minimum size is reached
· 106 ballots in favor of OPTION B (57.3%): Increase by 1mm in first year, followed by no increase in second year and repeat pattern until target minimum size is reached
· 6 Spoiled (3%)
The PEIFA LFA 26A Lobster Advisory Committee would like to thank all lobster license holders for their valuable input.