July 16, 2014
2014 PEI COMMERCIAL TUNA FISHERY CONSERVATION HARVESTING PLAN ~DRAFT DETAILS~
PLEASE NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS A DRAFT SUMMARY OF THE PEI COMMERCIAL TUNA FISHERY HARVESTING PLAN DETAILS SUBMITTED BY THE PEIFA TUNA ADVISORY COMMITTEE TO THE DEPARTMENT OF FISEHRIES AND OCEANS. THE PEIFA AND DFO WILL BE WORKING TOGETHER TO FINALIZE WORDING ON THE PLAN AND LICENSE CONDITIONS. THE PEIFA WILL ADVISE FISHERS ASAP WHEN FINAL APPROVAL IS OBTAINED FROM DFO.
1) 2014 PEI COMMERCIAL TUNA QUOTA (Revised) : 125.86T
• Open 5AM, Weds, July 30th, 2014 with close date Tuesday, September 30th
• Reallocation fishery opening date 5AM, Friday, October 3rd, 2014
3) REALLOCATION: Registration and draw will be administered by the PEIFA at least 2 weeks before the reallocation opening (mid-September). Fishers must be active in the main 2014 commercial tuna fishery.
a. No more than two (2) Captains partner up on one boat. Both Captains must be onboard vessel while fishing/landing fish.
b. Partnership will apply to the main commercial fishery only (July 30th – Sept 30th, 2014) and for 2014 only.
c. Each Captain who declares the partnership and hails out as a partnership will be allowed to enter the reallocation draw as long as the partnership would be considered active in 2014.
d. DFO has advised that Captains should contact them as soon as possible in terms of declaring a partnership as to avoid possible delays in paperwork. DFO prefers that the partnership is created prior to July 25th however the creation of partnerships is available throughout the season. Captains will need to declare the partnership by contacting DFO Licensing (Colleen McCabe) at 566-7844. Captains will have to indicate the names of the two Captains, which one will be the primary licence holder and what boat they will be using.
e. If a Captain has their individual tuna licence conditions and wishes to form a partnership, they must contact DFO at 566-7844. They will be required to bring their individual conditions and their tuna tag to the PEI Area Office to create the partnership and initiate the issuance of the Partnership conditions. The Partnership Licence Conditions will make the original ones null and void.
f. Once partnership is declared and new conditions issued, the partnership is in place for remainder of main commercial season (July 30th – September 30th, 2014). Captains will not be able to switch back.
g. If individual Captain uses his tag, he is ineligible to apply for partnership.
5) TAGS: Tuna Tags and ICCAT forms will be available at DFO Licensing beginning July15th. Fishers will be advised to call 566-7844 (Colleen McCabe, DFO Admin) and pay for their tag by credit card (accept all major credit cards) over the phone. It is possible to pay by credit card by visiting the DFO Licensing Office. However, Captains will not be able to pay for their tag and pick up the tag on the same day. DFO has advised that they need at least 2 days after payment to process the payment before tags can be issued/available to that Captain. Tags can be picked up at the DFO Licensing office in Charlottetown (Across from Sears) or can be sent via courier.
6) GEAR CONFLICT: Tuna fishers must remain at least 200 meters from previous set fixed gear or drift nets. This is in recognition of ongoing conflicts with commercial herring fishery. To be placed on 2014 Tuna conditions.
These details are subject to DFO approval.